52 Projects is an adventure in discovery. Every week, for 52 weeks, do something. Something you’ve never done before. Something you’ve always wanted to do. Something that scares you. Something that inspires you. Something that inspires others. Something that tickles your fancy. Something that caught your eye. Something that just popped into your head. It can be big. It can be small. It can be whatever you want it to be. Find out how doing something can lead you to discover things about yourself, your world, your God. Then, come here on Sundays and share it with others. I'll write about mine here, you write about yours on your blog, then use the tool in my post to link to your something. Please feel free to jump in and participate anytime throughout the year!

Jane


Sunday, October 24, 2010

Week 40: The Judgement Project


Consider this week's project as a self-awareness/personal growth kind of experiment.

This week we were discussing the topic of judgement at our meditation group. And when I refer to judgement, it covers both self-judgement and judging of others. It's not a good place to be with yourself when you cram all sorts of negative thoughts in to your brain. If it's true that what we put out there is what we get back, it would be a good thing to be careful about what we say and think. How many times a day do you find yourself saying something mean to yourself or thinking/saying something unkind about others? Well, that is what I decided to find out.

During our discussion I jokingly said that I'd love to carry around one of those clicking-counter gizmos for an entire week and see how many times I find myself in a place of judgement. Before I knew it, Lois's husband Bill went down to their basement and came back with one for me. So the experiment began. My project will not end officially until next Thursday evening at 7:30 pm. But so far, since Thursday at around 9pm, I have clicked away 53 moments of judgment. The week is still young and the clicker-counter gizmo goes up to 9,999. Hell, just looking at my horrid neighbor could send me way over that limit. See, now I have to click again for just having written that.

Some might say that this project of mine is a little excessive but I insist that it's a really good way to see and monitor these types of patterns. My continued goal here on this planet, in this body, in this lifetime is to keep evolving spiritually and get as close to my loving heart as possible. Besides, it's kind of fun wearing a clicker-counter gizmo around my neck all the time...it makes people wonder what I'm up to.

What did you do this week?

4 comments:

  1. My mom used to have one of those things. I loved playing around with it. What a great project for the week. I like that idea. I might put that on my list. It is amazing how often we think the negative instead of the positive about ourselves and others. I try to put a positive spin on life, but some days it just doesn't work that way. I hope you can keep your clicks to a minimum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~jane...interesting little excercise...becoming aware of our thoughts...negative ones...is always a good thing to analyze...i do hope you find the power of good thinking through all of this...turning those negatives into postives...lets hope you don't break that little clicker! warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a terrific experiment. I could definitely use it. But I KNOW I'm too hard on myself. What do we do next? Although I guess awareness is half the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think it's a wonderful idea!!

    ReplyDelete