52 Projects is an adventure in discovery. Every week, for 52 weeks, do something. Something you’ve never done before. Something you’ve always wanted to do. Something that scares you. Something that inspires you. Something that inspires others. Something that tickles your fancy. Something that caught your eye. Something that just popped into your head. It can be big. It can be small. It can be whatever you want it to be. Find out how doing something can lead you to discover things about yourself, your world, your God. Then, come here on Sundays and share it with others. I'll write about mine here, you write about yours on your blog, then use the tool in my post to link to your something. Please feel free to jump in and participate anytime throughout the year!

Jane


Sunday, November 7, 2010

Week 42: little paintings

I was a bit disappointed this week because my original project idea depended solely on the postman delivering it by yesterday. It never arrived. If it ever does arrive before next Saturday, I'll share it with you for sure.

So in the meantime, I've challenged myself this week to making a few small paintings. I hadn't picked up brushes and canvas in such a long time. But there is something that has drawn me to do so and I figured I must follow it. Of course I do a lot of painting on furniture, so I'm no stranger to paint. but this week proved to be very challenging. I kept asking myself, "Why am I so comfortable painting on furniture and so very uncomfortable painting on canvas?"

Here are a few attempts on 8x10 canvases.


There is a part of me that wants to pretend I never tried these little paintings. But there is another part of me that wants to keep exploring. All week long I've been laying in bed in the mornings with 100 ideas for little paintings. Maybe there is something to be said about perseverance and letting go and experimenting here. All I know is that the ideas don't just come from nowhere. God made me as a creative being with the need to make things and that is what I intend to explore and honor.

What did you do this week?

3 comments:

  1. I love your paintings, Jane! I have lots of ideas floating in my head for art pieces, however, I tend to forget them. I really, REALLY need to keep a notebook in hand at all times.

    I love your 52 projects idea and I will definitely think about joining in for 2011. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know exactly what you mean about canvas... for me, it's because a blank canvas invites expectation. a theme. a landscape. a Hefty Statement. i never feel up to the task. so i stick to small pieces of paper - they seem open to whatever i can bring to the table, and so i think i give them more in return! i think your paintings turned out lovely - if you keep at them, maybe it won't seem such an uncomfortable process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them, especially the first one. You have such a free hand (I mean your work looks effortless -- the opposite of cramped and labored) and you use color so well. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete